OUR SPIRITUAL FOOD
“THE MESSAGE OF FAITH”
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17).
A clear understanding and communication of the message of faith is important, because faith is a principle by which we live in the Kingdom of God. The Bible says, “the just shall live by faith” (Romans 1:17). It shows you just how important faith is. You can’t understand and apply your righteousness in Christ without faith.
In Hebrews 11:6, the Bible says it’s
impossible to please God without faith. By faith we activate or appropriate the blessings and provisions of Christ made
available to us in the Gospel. It’s the reason Jesus taught the message of faith when He
walked the earth; He taught the people the principle of asking and receiving. He said to them, “whosoever shall say unto this
mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things
which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith” (Mark 11:23).
Welcome back, in today’s article, my teaching is on “How To Make Puff-Puff”.
Puff-puff as the name is called in Nigeria, Bofrot in Ghana, Mikate in Congo, or Kala in Liberia is a traditional African snack similar to doughnut.
Puff-puffs are made of dough containing flour, yeast, sugar, butter, salt, water and eggs and deep fried in vegetable oil until
it becomes golden brown in colour.
Some Variations of puff-puff can be made by using baking powder in place of yeast but yeast is more
common. After frying, the puff puffs can be rolled in sugar, such as the French beignet and the Italian zeppole, puff-puffs also can be rolled in any spices/flavouring such as cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg. Also based on your taste and style of cooking puff-puffs can be served with fruit dips such as strawberry or raspberry. It can be taken as lunch.
i. Flour (300g or depending on the quantity you want)
ii. Butter (125g)
iii. Egg (2)
iv. 2 teaspoons of yeast (the type used in baking bread)
v. ½ teaspoon nutmeg (grounded)
vi. Granulated sugar (to your taste)
vii. pinche of salt
viii. Lukewarm water (for mixing)
ix. Vegetable Oil (for frying)
1. In a clean medium bowl sieve in the floor, add the grounded
nutmeg, powdered yeast, sugar, salt and the butter, carefully Mix them together by using your finger tips to pick it. After that add the egg white and mix well.
2. Add water to the mixed recipes bit by bit and use your hands in mixing it till you have a smooth paste (not too watery or too thick) you can as well add little quantity of yeast to it, mix well.
3. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil (make sure it is airtight by pressing the edges of the bowl). Allow to rise for about 20-25minutes.
4. After that remove the foil paper and the Puff Puff batter should be ready for frying. Then get a clean frying pan, place on heat and allow to be very hot then add some oil in a the frying pan and allow to heat up. (It’s not advisable to use a deep fryer for Puff Puff because of the netting but if you want to use it, you will have to set the temperature to 170°C).
POINT TO NOTE
The oil should be at least 3
inches deep, so as to make the
puff puff spherical when scooped into the oil. I am sure You don’t want to end up with flat Pancakes. Lols.
5. Test that the oil is hot enough by throwing in a drop of the batter into the oil. If it sizzles
and comes up to the surface of the oil, then know that the oil is hot enough. If the oil is not hot enough, the batter will sink down
to the bottom of the oil and stay there.
6. When the oil is hot enough, scoop some batter with your hands into the oil by pressing the batter to come out from between your thumb and the index finger.
as this is what will make your Puff Puff have a near-perfect spherical
7. Put in more scoops of the batter, as much as the space in the frying pan can contain without being overcrowding.
8. Once the underside of the puff puff has turned golden brown, flip the ball to the other side so that the topside will be well fried. When both sides are golden brown, take out the puff puff balls and place in a sieve. To reduce the oil on the puff-puff when too much, add to the sieve a paper towel to enable it soak away the excess oil.
Then roll with nutmeg and sugar, then serve with strawberry/raspberry or with chilled drink (depending on what you want to take it with).