What do we mean by the word chocolate pudding?
When we call the name chocolate puddings it simply means, a class of dessert with chocolate flavors. There are basically two types of chocolate puddings.
1. Boiled and Chilled Dessert version. Has the texture of a starch and custard, and it is mostly eaten in Canada, South-East, U.S and in Sweden.
2. Steamed/Baked version. This has a texture of a cake and it is popular in the U.K, New Zealand and Australia.
Chocolate pudding is a relatively light dessert in comparison to others.
Chocolate puddings are usually made with milk, sugar, flavored with vanilla and chocolate. It is thickened with corn starch or flour. But most people prefer using egg in making their chocolate puddings. Let me show us how to make this dessert without add egg to it.
Here is a creamy dessert that tastes sweet on the lips but it won’t cling to your hips. Lol! For a slimmer pudding, replace the low-fat milk with slim-milk. You can as well replace the sugar with honey.
Calories from fat 6.2g (29%)
Total fat 129
Saturated fat 3.7g (26%)
i. 6 strawberries for garnishing (optional) 2 cups low fat milk (1%)
ii. 2 tablespoon of sugar or honey
iii. 1 tablespoon corn starch
iv. 1 tablespoon cocoa
v. 1 teaspoon vanilla
vi. 1 square (1ounce) semi sweet chocolate (finely chopped)
vii. 1 banana for garnishing (optional)
ix. 1 cup non-fat whipped topping for garnishing (optional)
1. In a medium clean sauce pan, whisk together the milk, sugar or honey, corn starch and cocoa until the blend well. Then whisk over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
2. Get the sauce pan off the heat, stir in the chocolate, over a low heat slowly bring the mixture to boil. Stir continuously and allow it to boil for 2 minutes before adding the vanilla. Stir again.
3. Spoon in the puddings into four 6 ounce dessert glasses or custard cups, cover it with a plastic wrap (be sure that the plastic touches the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming).
4. Refrigerate it for at least 1-2 hours or until it becomes well chilled, then serve it.
To enjoy this dessert, you need to serve it well garnished with banana, whipped topping and strawberries (though it is your choice to choose what to serve or garnish it with).
N/B: SERVINGS PER RECIPE: 4